Overland Contracting, Inc. Solar - Technician in Lake City, Florida
Solar - Technician
Overland Contracting Inc. (OCI), a Black & Veatch company, provides construction services in the open/merit shop arena. Since 1996, OCI has been an industry leader in building vital infrastructure and provides a comprehensive range of construction services in the areas of power generation, power delivery, telecommunications, and water. Tailored to fit our clients' project-specific needs, services are available through direct hire or subcontract options utilizing open or merit shop labor in support of EPC projects, as well as construction-only work for the water, energy and telecommunications markets.
Assemble, install, or maintain solar photovoltaic (PV) systems on roofs or other structures in compliance with site assessment and schematics. May include measuring, cutting, assembling, and bolting structural framing and solar modules.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
• Use appropriate hand tools (i.e. crescent wrench, pliers, hammer, screwdriver, etc.) and power tools (i.e. Drills, Impact Wrenches) to perform a variety of functions to install photovoltaic (PV) systems in accordance with codes and standards using drawings, schematics, and instructions.
• Lay-out, assemble and install solar modules, panels, or support structures, as specified.
• Apply weather sealing to array, building, or support mechanisms.
• Identify methods for laying out, orienting, and mounting modules or arrays to ensure efficient installation, electrical configuration, or system maintenance.
• Identify and resolve any deficiencies in photovoltaic (PV) system installation or materials.
• Install required labels on solar system components and hardware.
• Determine materials, equipment, and installation sequences necessary to maximize installation efficiency.
• Install active solar systems, including solar collectors, concentrators, pumps, or fans.
• Activate photovoltaic (PV) systems to verify system functionality and conformity to performance expectations.
• Lift, carry and hold building materials, tools, and supplies; clean tools, equipment, material, and work areas. Work areas will have a clean as you go policy, and work areas will be clean before leaving site.
• Compile or maintain records of system operation, performance, and maintenance.
• Perform a variety of routine, non-machine tasks, including, but not limited to removing forms from set concrete, filling expansion joints with asphalt, digging, spreading and leveling dirt and gravel, using pick, shovel and wheelbarrow.
• Participate in all safety related processes and programs as requested. Engage with your work team to ensure we achieve zero injuries. Understand that no job is so important that your safety and that of your crew will be compromised. Watch for hazards and report any concerns to your supervisor or safety professional. If needed, use your stop work authority until the issue is resolved.
• Report all accidents and near misses to supervisor; participate in investigation process as needed.
• Participate in all pre-job work planning and safety discussions. Identify safety hazards you or other employees may be subject to and take all necessary corrective action to eliminate and/or mitigate hazards.
• Understand and respond appropriately to all safety hazards and warning devices (i.e. back-up alarms, smell of smoke, different colored warning tags, warning sirens).
• Understand, support, and follow lockout tag out procedures. Attend site specific training and assure you follow all procedures as out lined in training.
• Follow established safety rules and regulations and maintain a safe and clean work environment.
• Use effective verbal and written communication skills. Add, subtract, multiply and divide whole numbers and fractions rapidly and accurately.
• Provide on-the-job training and/or mentoring to helpers and laborers you are working with.
• Produce quality work, meeting requirements of plans, specifications and industry standards.
• Read and understand plans and specifications. Visualize two dimensional drawings in three dimensions.
• With regard to that portion of the work assigned, develop complete understanding of contract plans and specifications and plan, lay-out, diagram, and install equipment.
• Inspect helper's work for compliance with the, contract plans, specifications, and industry standards. Point out deficiencies, explain them, and take corrective action needed.
• Examine/inspect field conditions and identify problems, inaccuracies, and cost saving measures that arise or that may be encountered. Take corrective actions as needed reporting any issues to your supervision.
• Comply with Company Code of Conduct and jobsite policies.
• Work in other crafts at levels appropriate to training and skills as requested by project supervision.
• Perform all other job related duties as requested by supervisor.
At least 2 years of experience working as a Solar Installer or equivalent combination of education and experience in a construction setting. Working knowledge of the Solar Photovoltaic construction craft and the assembly, installation, or maintenance of solar photovoltaic (PV) systems for ground or roof installation. Ability to understand and follow directions. Must have all necessary tools (see Solar Installer Tool List). Must be at least 18 years of age.
All applicants must be able to complete pre-employment onboarding requirements (if selected) which may include any/all of the following: criminal/civil background check, drug screen, and motor vehicle records search, in compliance with any applicable laws and regulations
Preferred Job Qualifications:
NCCER Solar Photovoltaic Installer NCCER Electrician NCCER Concrete Finishing NCCER Carpenter
Overland Contracting Inc. (OCI), a Black and Veatch subsidiary, complies with all Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) affirmative action laws and regulations. OCI does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, religion, color, sex, national origin, marital status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, veteran status, pregnancy status or other status protected by law.